There are countless EMR systems available today but still there are many physicians and practices without one. Complying with so many healthcare laws and dealing with insurers takes away a lot of physician’s time. Not using an EHR means even more work for the Physicians and their staff. Still there are many reasons to why some practices do not use and EHR even today. Of many reasons listed in my last post, cost is one of the major roadblocks to EHR adaptation.
Not just the upfront costs but also in the form of temporary work slowdown and costs involved in training of staff members etc. Such thoughts make physicians indecisive and they find it easy to keep working the way they are.
Not many doctors know that there is open source EMR that is certified, being used by many practices in multiple countries including United States and can be used free of cost, forever!
The system is called OpenEMR and has been in use for many years. It works like most other EMRs and with it, you can do anything that is possible with any other popular EMR. For an overview, OpenEMR features fully integrated electronic health records, practice management, scheduling and electronic billing.
Some features of OpenEMR are:
- Track patient demographics.
- Primary information (name, date of birth, sex, identification).
- Marital status.
- Contact information of patient and patient’s employer.
- Primary provider.
- HIPAA information.
- Language and ethnicity.
- Insurance coverage.
- Deceased Tracking.
- Patient Flow Board, Tracking, and Reporting.
- Support for multiple facilities.
- Patient appointment notification via email and sms.
- Compact and flexible appointment calendar.
- Find open appointment slots.
- Categories for appointment types.
- Colors associated with appointment types and facility.
- Repeating appointments.
- Restricting appointments based on type.
- Random Patient Drug Screening
3.Electronic Medical Records
- Medical Issues.
- Vitals (growth charts).
- Eye Specialty (Ophthalmology/Optometry).
- Computer Aided Medical Ordering System.
- Ability to create and customize forms.
- Graphical Charting.
- Patient Reports.
- Patient Notes.
- Electronic digital document management.
- Paper Chart Tracking.
- Electronic Syndrome Surveillance reporting.
- Clinic Messaging.
- Dated Reminders.
- Online drug search.
- Track patient prescriptions and medications.
- Integration with third party e-prescription services.
- Customizable layout (options for DEA, NPI and state license numbers).
- In-house pharmacy dispensary support.
- Flexible system of coding.
- Support for 5010 standards.
- Support for electronic billing to clearing houses.
- Support for paper claims.
- Medical claim management interface.
- Insurance Eligibility Queries.
- Insurance Tracking Interface.
- Accounts Receivable Interface.
- EOB Entry Interface.
- Customizable to work with clearing houses for automated 835 or ERA entry.
6.Clinical Decision Rules
- Physician Reminders.
- Patient Reminders.
- Clinical Quality Measure Calculations.
- Automated Meaningful Use Measurement Calculations.
- Fully Customizable and Flexible.
- Medical Problems.
- Ability to connect to Third Party Patient Portals.
- Patient Lists.
- Prescriptions and Drug Dispensing.
- Clinical Measure Calculations.
- Clinical Quality Measures (CQM) Calculations.
- Automated Measure Calculations (AMC) and Tracking.
- Syndromic Surveillance.
- Pending Procedure Orders.
- Ordered Procedure Statistics.
- Paper Chart Tracking.
- Insurance Distributions.
- Insurance Eligibility.
With such a comprehensive feature set, OpenEMR has everything you need to manage your patients and practice in a modern way.
OpenEMR is fully customizable. You can keep the features you want and remove the ones you don’t. It is also very easy of use and your staff can get trained really fast. Best part is that unlike most EMRs today, you have the possession of all your data. You don’t even see annoying ads in any part of the software.
AttendingDR with its healthcare technology partner ADRdigitalhealth, offers free installation and set-up of OpenEMR to all its members. And did we tell you that membership is absolutely FREE!
To claim your FREE set-up and a hands on demo of the system, write to rmehra@AttendingDR.com